Thursday, February 21, 2013

First Hair Cuts

Colson's hair was getting out of control.  She needed a cut, I needed advice, and I knew I couldn't take her just anywhere.  I needed a professional.  So I got a recommendation and scheduled an appointment.  What an appointmentnt it was.  I thought the whole thing would probably take 20 minutes, maybe.  It took over an hour.  I had no idea the process for cutting such curly and crazy hair.  My mom and sister were in town for the weekend, so we made it a fun girls day.

Initially we chatted with the stylist about how we just needed a trim to even it up.  Then she explained what all needed to be done.  I thought she was kidding.  We started with a wash.  Colson was a little nervous, so I had to hold her while she leaned back with her head in the sink.  It only took a few minutes before she was enjoying it though.  Next, the stylist combed it out, twisted it into several little buns, and Colson got to sit under the dryer. She was really starting to think she was something special at this point.  And by now she and Shawn, the stylist, were buddies.  She sat there perfectly for several minutes, just taking in all the women around her. 


Next, the stylist blow dried her hair 'straight', and then straightened it with a flat iron.  I was amazed Colson was still sitting so patiently.  She started to get a little antsy as Shawn was finishing up straightening it, but a little distraction with some games on a phone helped.  The actual cutting of the hair that followed really did only take 5 minutes.  She had to cut off about two inches so she could even it up.  Then I had my own 'consultation' about how on earth to take care of her hair.  It was a very educational afternoon. 


       Needing a little distraction by this point.

Colson was SO proud of her hair.  She couldn't stop touching and feeling it.  She started jumping up and down and then laughed because her hair 'jumped' too.  We went out for lunch afterwards and Colson had a reward of a chocolate shake for being so good for the entire time.

 
I could not believe how different she looked with straight hair.  She looked so grown up!  By the next morning it was getting a little wild again.  And after a few days it was half curly, half straight, but still adorable.  I offered to touch it up with the straightener but she declined.  The other night we washed it again, used the products and techniques that the stylist recommended, and for the next few days the curls really did look significantly better than when I used to fix it.  And now she looks like our little crazy-haired monkey again.

The next morning.
 
Getting a little wild...

 And a little more wild....
 
 
Back to her old self!
 


Connor also had his first haircut last weekend.  Jon and I ran errands that evening, and my mom and sister cut it while we were gone.  However, they failed to take a single picture of the event.  So, all I have are some after pics of him looking like a more grown up little boy.


 
 
 
-Amanda


No comments:

Post a Comment